Controlling resources

Talk about Online EQUATIONS

Controlling resources

Postby pythagorian » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:59 am

When playing with beginners or younger students, would it be advantageous to limit the number of resources in a round. It seems that in the early stages of learning the game a round with a lot of resources can be overwhelming.

Can this be controlled by a teacher? Do you think it should be limited at first?
pythagorian

Re: Controlling resources

Postby Nathaniel Zhu » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:32 am

I think that would be a great idea. First of all, a beginner would be discouraged, to say the least, if they were hammered with roots, logs, and exponents. Second, with limited resources, they would be more into the game and not be worrying about if or when the other player will put something hard in the resources.
Nathaniel Zhu

Postby gurdy1 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:19 am

Thanks! We have a feature like that for tournament directors. I believe it's already implemented.
gurdy1

Postby awesemo » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:23 pm

Actually if you look at the old Equations games they kind of took this into account. That's why there are 12 blue and red cubes and only 6 green and black cubes in old EQ games. Players were meant to start with 12 blue and red and then add green, then black cubes into the game to increase the difficulty level.
awesemo

Postby ClemCon » Fri May 04, 2012 9:37 pm

I don't know if AGLOA controls this site but at their tournaments (where I found out about online equations in the first place) depending on your age, you are put in a certain division: Elementary, Middle, Junior, or Senior (for Elementary and Middle there are the sub-categories Basic and Adventurous). I am in the Middle Adventurous division and am wondering if there is an option for choosing a category while creating a game. This would help with the log issue with younger players (myself included) if only certain cubes and rules would apply in different categories.
ClemCon

Return to General Discussion